HOUSTON -

The cold weather is to blame for a house fire in north Houston.

The Houston Fire Department was called to a home at 3500 Europa on Monday morning. Upon arriving, firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the house.

According to HFD, one person was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

A relative says a space heater started the fire.

As the temperature drops, the Houston Fire Department is reminding everyone that space heaters need space. Keep them away from other objects and children.

They also advise everyone to check their smoke alarms.