HOUSTON -

Investigators said a smoke detector may have saved the lives of a married couple after their home erupted in flames.

Houston firefighters said the fire broke out at a home on Fostoria near Dunham around 11 p.m. Wednesday.

Investigators said crews were able to knock out the flames pretty quickly.

A husband and wife were asleep inside the home at the time, but investigators said the smoke detector woke them up and they were able to get out safely.

Arson investigators were called to the scene to try and figure out what started the fire.