Healthier Chicken Alfredo
14 oz Margarine
14 oz All-purpose flour
6 cups Milk, Skim
1 pound Parmesan Cheese, Grated
¾ tsp Salt
¼ tsp White Pepper
1 ½ cups Fresh broccoli florets
1 cup Fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Fresh Yellow Squash, Julienne
Grated Parmesan for Garnish
Fresh Parsley, minced for Garnish
8 Grilled Chicken Breasts (4oz, skinless, boneless breasts), Cut into strips
1lb Whole Wheat Pasta
Serves 8 people
1. Melt Margarine in a non-stick skillet over Medium-High Heat. When completely melted add All-Purpose flour. Stir constantly until mixture is combined well and is starting to brown.
2. In a four quart Dutch oven, heat the milk to just below a simmer. Gradually whisk in the roux until fully combined. Increase the heat until the sauce begins to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
3. To the milk mixture, stir in the Cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melt and the mixture is well combined. Cook for 5 minutes on a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
4. Sauté vegetables in a non-stick skillet using 1tbsp of Olive Oil, for 3 to 4 minutes. Add to Alfredo Sauce Mixture.
5. Prepare pasta according to directions on the box. Drain well.
6. Evenly portion pasta on rimmed plates or shallow bowls, top with 1 cup (8oz) of Alfredo Sauce and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese and freshly minced Parsley.
11 grams of fat
520 mg sodium
27.5% calories from fat
99 Calories from fat