HOUSTON -

A neighbor’s quick thinking helped save an elderly couple during a late-night house fire.

Officials say the fire at a home on Gertin on Houston’s south side started around 12:30 a.m. Friday.

A neighbor saw flames, ran over to the home and banged on the door until the husband and wife sleeping inside woke up, the Houston Fire Department said.

Firefighters responded and were able to extinguish the flames before the fire spread to the rest of the house.

Officials say the fire started from a shorted out small refrigerator on the back indoor patio. The fire was contained to the back wall.