HOUSTON - Houston police searching for a man who, a young girl says, grabbed her as she walked to school Friday morning in southwest Houston.
The girl was walking to Sugar Grove Elementary School when it happened on the corner of Bissonnet Street and Bonhomme Road. She was able to run away and was not hurt.
The school says it immediately notified HISD police, who notified the Houston Police Department, and the incident is currently under investigation. Extra officers have been assigned to the area.
A warning letter was sent home to parents. It reads in part:
"I encourage you to discuss these safety tips with your children:
- Students should walk in groups, not alone.
- Students should avoid distractions, such as cell phones, and pay attention to their surroundings.
- Students who are approached by a stranger should run away and seek help from others.
- Students should physically resist and yell for help if anyone tries to force them into a vehicle or a home.
- Students should immediately report any incident that makes them uncomfortable.
Please know we take these situations very seriously, as the safety of our students at Sugar Grove Academy is always our absolute top priority. If you see any suspicious activity or have any information on this suspect, we ask that you contact the HISD Police Department immediately at 713-892-7777."
Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.