A 5-year-old girl remained in the hospital Wednesday, recovering from injuries after getting stuck inside an operating washing machine Tuesday night.
The incident happened at around 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at Le's Washateria Service in the 2400 block of Southmore Avenue, across the street from Sparks Elementary.
Frantic customers flooded 911 desperate for help.
"We need an ambulance. We have a little girl here, she was stuck inside a washer and it was on, but we got her out," one caller told a dispatcher.
"It looks like she's going unconscious," another caller said. "She has blood coming from her ears."
Authorities said a woman put money into one of the washing machines. It didn't work, so she told the manager. The manager gave her the money back.
However, the 5-year-old girl apparently climbed into the machine which then kicked in to the final high-speed spin cycle. Police said she spun around for several minutes before someone noticed.
The owner of the laundromat told Local 2 he felt it was just a freak accident.
Longtime customers with whom Local 2 spoke say they don't blame anyone associated with the laundromat.
"Parents need to keep an eye on their kids. That's very dangerous. I can't even imagine if that was my kids," Maria Silva said.
Police said the girl was there with relatives at the time.
Detectives say they won't file charges in this case.