Food left on stove causes house fire in southwest Houston

Family got out safe as fire gutted kitchen

Headline Goes Here

HOUSTON - A family has a bit of a mess to clean up after their kitchen caught fire late Wednesday night.

Houston firefighters were called out to a house on Lima and South Kirkwood in southwest Houston just before midnight.    

Investigators said the fire started in the kitchen after the mother left food cooking on the stove.

Officials said the family was able to get out safely.

The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen.

Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.