Flesh eating bacteria found off Louisiana coat
Health officials recommend not swimming with open cuts, avoid swallowing water and to shower after swimming
One person has died and three others are recovering after falling seriously ill when they contracted the "Flesh-Eating Bacteria" off the Louisiana coast.
Environmental investigators are looking into the death of an 83-year-old man who they believe contracted the deadly bacteria from sea water while fishing on a boat off in the Gulf of Mexico.
The bacteria, clinically known as Vibrio Vulnificus is a bacterium that naturally occurs in warm water.
Dr. Glen Mayhall, and infectious disease doctor with UTMB in Galveston said, "You're in the water, you rub up against something sharp and water gets into the wound. Then within a day or so you're going to see inflamation".
Dr. Mayhall also says if you see your cut getting worse after being in the water, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Health officials also recommend not swimming with open cuts, avoid swallowing water and make sure to shower after swimming.