HOUSTON -

A family of six is homeless after a fire burned down their north Houston home early Monday morning.

Just after 3:15 a.m., firefighters from Fire Station 19 arrived at their home on Moody Street and Cochran.

Authorities said the woman inside smelled smoke and had her husband go investigate.

He found a fire and evacuated his entire family including his wife, his 8-year-old son and two grandparents.

"Crying, crying, you know their heart is broken," said Abel Puge, son of the fire victim.

When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting from the one-story wood home.

Firefighters told Local 2 there was almost nothing the family would be able to salvage. The home was declared a total loss.

Investigators were able to determine that a motor in an older model refrigerator started the fire. 

The Puga family says they are very appreciative, and they're still assessing what they really need. For now, they are staying with family and the kids will still have Christmas.

The family said the gifts were being stored at an uncle's house.