HOUSTON -

A family of four escaped after their Southwest Houston home caught fire late Thursday night.

Houston firefighters arrived at 11 p.m. to find flames and smoke pouring out of the house. Crews managed to get the flames under control quickly, but the house is heavily damaged.

According to the family, the fire started after their son plugged in an alarm clock and sparks started shooting out of the electrical socket. The family made it out safely, though one of their dogs died in the fire.