A gas leak in a local middle school prompted student evacuations and four people to the hospital.
There were some very frightening moments for more than 1,100 students at Dowling Middle School at 14000 Stancliff in southwest Houston. The powerful stench of rotten eggs began permeating the campus just before 11 this morning. The problem was a natural gas leak inside one of the buildings at the rear end of the campus.
Houston firefighters and EMT's were dispatched to the school, along with crews from CenterPoint Energy.
The entire student population, as well as all teachers and administrators, were evacuated to the football field for about 90 minutes while crews worked the problem.
A total of four people had to be transported to the hospital -- three students and the school nurse. We're told all were suffering from breathing-related and respiratory problems; none of those life-threatening.
Outside of the school, eight other students were treated on site for problems related to anxiety attacks and asthma.
By 12:30 p.m. Monday, the school was open once again and classes resumed.
HISD officials have not released information as to exactly where the gas leak occurred or what caused it.
School administrators say Dowling Middle School will be open at the regular time Tuesday and school will resume for all students.