Arson crews are investigating if an apartment fire in Clear Lake was started by a discarded cigarette.

The fire broke out at an apartment complex on Bay Area Boulevard and Seakale around 11p.m. Wednesday night.

Firefighters said the fire started on the balcony of a second floor unit. It's believed a tenant tossed a cigarette out onto the wooden balcony and it started the fire.

Firefighters managed to put it out the flames before the fire could spread to the rest of the apartment.

No injuries were reported.