Authorities have evacuated a Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District middle school for a fire.
Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department officials say the fire was reported around 12 p.m. Wednesday at Thornton Middle School at 19802 Kieth Harrow Boulevard.
Cy-Fair ISD says the school filled with smoke, so the building was evacuated.
Fire officials say the fire started in a wood shop class.
An ambulance was called to the scene to treat a staff member for smoke inhalation.
Officials say firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, but heavy smoke remains in the building.
The middle school students will be bused from Thornton to Cypress Lakes High School, at 5750 Greenhouse Road, where they will stay for the remainder of the day.
Fire officials say the Ponderosa Fire Department is providing a large fan to assist with ventilation inside the building.
The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office.
Cy-Fair ISD released the following information on its Facebook page regarding Wednesday's school dismissal of Thornton students at Cy Lakes High School:
- All bus riders will be transported on their regular bus to their normal bus stop. Please expect delays.
- 6th grade car riders: Parents may pick their child up in the front office of Cy Lakes High School. Please be prepared to show your I.D.
- 7th and 8th grad car riders: Parents may pick their child up at the gym located at the back of the school. Please come to the concession stand and be prepared to show your I.D.
- Club Rewind students: Club Rewind staff is on site at Cy Lakes and will remain there until the normally scheduled 6:30 p.m. pickup time.
- Student walkers: Students will be transported by bus back to Thornton to walk home.
- All personal items left on the Thornton campus can be picked up on Thursday.
District officials say due to increased activity in the area, please expect delays. Click here to visit Cy-Fair ISD's website.
Classes are expected to resume Thursday morning.