ANGLETON, Texas - A decision was announced Monday in the custody case of Clara Harris' twin boys while she serves a life sentence for killing their father with her car, News2Houston reported in an exclusive story.
A custody agreement was reached between Clara Harris' in-laws, and Pat and Ana Jones of Friendswood. The Joneses are Harris' friends.
"It was a very tearful, joyous event in the judge's chambers," said Lenette Terry, Clara Harris' attorney. "We came to a very amicable settlement, where the boys are going to live primarily with Ana and Pat Jones. But they're going to see their grandparents a lot."
After her arrest last year, Clara Harris gave her in-laws, Gerald and Mildred Harris, custody of the twins, Brian and Bradley.
Clara Harris later said that she wanted the Joneses to raise her sons instead, because they also have 5-year-old twin boys.
The boys will see their grandparents every other weekend. Both sides came up with the agreement together.
"I think the Joneses are prepared to take care of these boys," said Lloyd Stansberry, the Joneses' attorney. "I think the Harris' see the Joneses are a good choice and I think everything is going to work well with the parties, and hopefully give the kids a normal life."
For the past several months, the boys lived part-time with both families.
Before the deal received the judge's final approval, both parties, as well as the twins, underwent psychiatric evaluations.
The decision was made official in court Monday.
"Clara and her in-laws hugged and cried and the Joneses and Mr. and Mrs. Harris and Clara all hugged and cried. And it made us cry," Terry said.
The Harrises told News2Houston they were happy with the decision.
A Harris County jury sentenced Clara Harris to 20 years in prison after finding her guilty of murdering her orthodontist husband, David Harris, 44, on July 24. The incident occurred after a confrontation between Clara and David Harris and David's acknowledged lover, Gail Bridges, in the lobby of the Hilton Nasa Clear Lake, Nasa Road 1, in Nassau Bay.
Clara Harris is serving her sentence at the Mountview facility in Gatesville, Texas.
- May 28, 2003: Custody Compromise Reached For Clara Harris' Twins
- May 7, 2003: Custody Battle Begins Over Harris Children
- May 20, 2003: Clara Harris Speaks Out From Jail
- February 20, 2003: Harris' Stepdaughter Sues Hotel, Detective Agency
- February 18, 2003: Hotel Official Fired After Testifying In Clara Harris Trial
- February 17, 2003: Clara Harris Says She Still Loves Her Dead Husband
- February 14, 2003: Jurors Send Clara Harris To Prison
- February 14, 2003: Jury Considers Punishment For Clara Harris
- February 13, 2003: Clara Harris Guilty, Sentencing Begins
- February 12, 2003: Jurors Deliberate Clara Harris Case
- February 12, 2003: Jurors Set To Begin Deliberations In Clara Harris Case
- February 11, 2003: Closing Arguments Wednesday In Harris Trial
- February 11, 2003: Jurors Told To Bring Toothbrushes In Clara Harris Trial
- February 10, 2003: Defense Rests In Clara Harris Trial
- February 10, 2003: Clara Harris Retakes Stand
- February 7, 2003: Harris: Didn't Mean To Run Over Husband
- February 5, 2003: Clara Harris' Attorney Collapses Outside Courtroom
- February 4, 2003: Harris' Lover Testifies About Relationship
- February 4, 2003: Defense Goes After Victim In Clara Harris Case
- January 31, 2003: Collision Expert Testifies About Harris' Death
- January 30, 2003: Accusations Fly After Harris Daughter Testifies
- January 30, 2003: State Rests In Clara Harris Case
- January 29, 2003: Harris' Daughter Testifies: 'She Meant To Kill Him'
- January 29, 2003: Stepdaughter To Testify In Clara Harris' Trial
- January 28, 2003: Harris Cries Uncontrollably, Removed From Trial
- January 27, 2003: Private Investigator Testifies In Clara Harris Trial
- January 27, 2003: Clara Harris Trial Enters Second Week
- January 23, 2003: Witnesses Describe Harris Running Over Husband
- January 22, 2003: Jury Seated In Clara Harris Trial
- January 22, 2003: Jury Selection Continues In Harris' Murder Trial
- January 21, 2003: Jurors To Be Picked For Clara Harris' Trial
- January 16, 2003: Harris' Stepdaughter's Remarks Spark Debate
- November 19, 2002: Audiotapes Allege Clara Harris Also Having Affair
- November 1, 2002: Harris Featured In Magazine Article
- October 18, 2002: Clara Harris Pleads Not Guilty
- October 10, 2002: Grand Jury Indicts Clara Harris
- September 18, 2002: Custody Battle Stems From High-Profile Murder
- August 23, 2002: Clara Harris' Murder Trial Set
- August 2, 2002: Slain Orthodontist's Daughter Files Suit
- July 31, 2002: P.I. Turns Over Video Of Dentist's Death
- July 29, 2002: Judge: Dentist To Remain Free
- July 26, 2002: Wife Free After Allegedly Running Over Husband
- July 25, 2002: Police: Wife Runs Over Cheating Husband
Copyright 2011 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.