One woman died in a morning house fire in Highlands, the Harris County Sheriff's Office confirmed to Local 2.
The fire broke out shortly around 6:30 a.m. Friday at the home in the 800 block of Clear Lake Road near 9th Street.
Neighbors say they were awoken by popping noises and west outside to investigate.
Firefighters said heavy smoke and flames were coming from home house when firefighters arrived. Aerials from Sky 2 showed multiple fire crews battling the flames.
The Harris County Fire Marshal's Office said 72-year-old Sue Stagner's body was found in her bedroom by search and rescue crews. Stagner, a mother and grandmother, lived alone.
The victim's family and friends are in shock.
"She was a very wonderful person," said neighbor Sherry Benoit. "It's really hard because we've been friends for like 38 years."
Officials believe the fire was accidental, but investigators are not yet ruling anything out. Homicide detectives are also investigating.
"We're working with the sheriff's office which is not uncommon for them to come out and assist us anytime we're working with a fire fatality," said Lt. Dean Hensley with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office. "Once the medical examiner's office does the autopsy, we'll have an understanding on what the cause of death was."