CONROE, Texas -

Shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday, a mother and her two children were fast asleep in their home on FM 2090 when authorities said a fire broke out in their home's central heating unit.

Although their husband and father was away working his shift as a law enforcement officer, the family had made sure that they had working smoke detectors, according to the Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office.

As smoke began to build, authorities said the home's smoke alarms sounded and the family was able to escape the flames and call 911.

Firefighters from the Splendora and Caney Creek fire departments arrived shortly after an EMS unit, and were able to bring the fire under control within 10 minutes.

The home was heavily damaged by smoke and heat, but no injuries were reported, authorities said.