Conroe family escapes early morning heater fire

Officials: Mother, children awaken to sound of smoke detectors, escape fire with no injuries

Headline Goes Here

CONROE, Texas - Shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday, a mother and her two children were fast asleep in their home on FM 2090 when authorities said a fire broke out in their home's central heating unit.

Although their husband and father was away working his shift as a law enforcement officer, the family had made sure that they had working smoke detectors, according to the Montgomery County Fire Marshal's Office.

As smoke began to build, authorities said the home's smoke alarms sounded and the family was able to escape the flames and call 911.

Firefighters from the Splendora and Caney Creek fire departments arrived shortly after an EMS unit, and were able to bring the fire under control within 10 minutes.

The home was heavily damaged by smoke and heat, but no injuries were reported, authorities said.

Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.