HOUSTON -

A misplaced cigarette sparked a fire at the Texan Inn and Suites in north Houston early Tuesday morning.

According to Houston Fire Department, firefighters arrived and saw heavy smoking coming from the third floor. They found a man inside trying to extinguish the flames with one of the hoses inside. Firefighters helped him get the rest of the flames out, containing the damage to mostly the one room.

The man told firefighters that he thought he put out his cigarette, then laid it on the bed and got in the shower. The department said the man heard the smoke detector go off and saw his bed on fire.

Firefighters were forced to evacuate other hotel guests, but no one suffered injuries.