Arson investigators are trying to figure out what sparked a fire that killed a man’s pets at a west Houston condominium complex.

The Houston Fire Department said the fire broke out late Thursday night at the complex on Memorial Mews Street near Turkey Creek Drive.

Firefighters said the second-floor apartment was engulfed in flames when they arrived.

The homeowner made it out safely, but his two cats did not survive the blaze.

Crews quickly got the fire under control, but the unit was a complete loss.

The unit below it also suffered water damage.