A 12-year-old boy was taken to a hospital in Humble on Sunday night after Liberty County deputies say a bullet exploded and struck him in his eyelid.
Deputies said the boy's mother called them around 5 p.m. after her son held a .22 caliber bullet under a cigarette lighter.
The bullet then exploded and sent fragments through his middle finger and left eyelid.
Deputies met the boy and his mother on Highway 90 before they drove to the hospital.
One deputy said the boy claimed he stuck the bullet under the cigarette lighter because he wanted to see what would happen.
The boy's injuries were non-life threatening and his mother drove him to the hospital, deputies said.
Deputies are conducting a follow-up investigation.