Boy, 4, burned in Galveston

A neighbor said she rushed outside after hearing what sounded like an explosion

Galveston - A 4-year-old boy was seriously burned after a lighter and a container of gasoline sparked a flash fire in Galveston.

The incident happened Tuesday afternoon at a vacant home in the 2100 block of 35th Street.

A neighbor said she rushed outside after hearing what sounded like an explosion.

"It just sounded like a gas tank that had exploded... because I knew they'd been working on a car," said Kimberly Jasiewicc.

Jasiewicc said when she went outside, she saw a little boy who was screaming.

"All we saw was this little boy shaking his arm. He got it on his face, on his arm. He's been burnt," said Jasiewicc.

A spokesperson for the City of Galveston, Elizabeth Rogers, said there was no fire when firefighters arrived.

Rogers said the little boy had been playing with matches when fumes from a gas container ignited, causing a flash fire.

Rogers didn't identify the boy, but described his injuries as serious burns.

He was taken to Shriner's Hospital in Galveston to be treated for his injuries.

Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.