Galveston -

A 4-year-old boy was seriously burned after a lighter and a container of gasoline sparked a flash fire in Galveston.

The incident happened Tuesday afternoon at a vacant home in the 2100 block of 35th Street.

A neighbor said she rushed outside after hearing what sounded like an explosion.

“It just sounded like a gas tank that had exploded... because I knew they'd been working on a car,” said Kimberly Jasiewicc.

Jasiewicc said when she went outside, she saw a little boy who was screaming.

“All we saw was this little boy shaking his arm. He got it on his face, on his arm. He's been burnt,” said Jasiewicc.

A spokesperson for the City of Galveston, Elizabeth Rogers, said there was no fire when firefighters arrived.

Rogers said the little boy had been playing with matches when fumes from a gas container ignited, causing a flash fire.

Rogers didn't identify the boy, but described his injuries as serious burns.

He was taken to Shriner's Hospital in Galveston to be treated for his injuries.