Woman dies after southeast Houston house fire

HFD: Fire started on stove

Published On: Nov 27 2012 10:44:04 PM CST   Updated On: Nov 28 2012 06:18:24 AM CST
HOUSTON -

A 90-year-old woman rescued from a southeast Houston house fire succumbed to her injuries Wednesday morning.

Firefighters pulled the victim from the home on Roxbury Lane and Luce Street around 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Her son, Derrick Gladden, said she was unresponsive when she was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital for treatment. She was in critical condition, but died a few hours later.

Gladden told Local 2 he was visiting a neighbor and had just returned home to find the house on fire. He said he tried twice to get to his mother, but the smoke and fire were too intense.

Neighbors also tried busting through a window to get her out, but were not successful.

Gladden said he was the primary caregiver for his mother, who suffered from Alzheimer's Disease.

Investigators said the fire was concentrated in the kitchen at the back of the home. They said the fire started when the victim left something cooking on the stove while she went into a bedroom.

Gladden said his mother lived at the home for more than 30 years.

Her name was not released.