HOUSTON -

A veteran was rescued from his burning apartment at the Midtown Suites near downtown Houston late Friday night.

Houston firefighters responded to the fire at the building on Main Street near Highway 59, which is a converted motel now housing veterans.

HFD reported one room on fire.

The man living there was saved by a neighbor who broke into the apartment after smelling smoke.

Investigators say the man was badly burned and rushed to the hospital.

Only one room at the Midtown Suites had fire damage. Others have smoke and water damage.