Space heater sparks house fire

An amputee had to be dragged to safety

Published On: Mar 03 2013 08:35:42 AM CST   Updated On: Mar 03 2013 04:46:57 PM CST
space heater fire
HOUSTON -

The cold weather may have led to a fire at a home Sunday morning on Simsbrook and Bathurst in southwest Houston.

Firefighters said the fire began with a space heater in a bedroom where a woman was sleeping.

Officials said the woman is an amputee and had to dragged to safety by her grandson.

The woman's leg was cut when she was pulled from the home, so she was taken to the hospital.

The rest of the family was able to get out of the home and wasn't hurt.