Serial burglary suspect arrested
Bernard Cardenas charged with burglary of habitation
A man suspected in more than a dozen home burglaries has been arrested, and police said he brought a child along on at least one of the crimes.
Bernard Cardenas, 34, has been charged with five counts of burglary of a habitation and being a felon in possession of a weapon.
Houston police said they caught Cardenas as he broke into a home.
Officers on routine patrol on Oct. 18 were looking out for a black Acura with paper license plates that was involved in burglaries on Oct. 8 and 12. The officers spotted the vehicle in the area of Meadow Creek Village and followed it to a home in the 5400 block of Shady Creek.
Police said Cardenas got out of the car, knocked on the door of the home and looked into the windows. Officers called for backup and waited to see if Cardenas would try to break into the home.
Cardenas kicked in the front door of the home, police said. He was arrested as he walked out of the house, investigators said.
Cardenas' 3-year-old son was found in his car, detectives said.
Police said they found a gun in Cardenas' possession. That gun had been stolen in a previous home burglary, investigators said. Other stolen items were found in his car, police said.
Detectives said they believe Cardenas is responsible for burglaries in the following areas:
- July 11, 2012: 1000 block of Ogilvie
- Nov. 24, 2011: 4900 block of Falvey
- June 5, 2012: 4000 block of Marlborough
- July 2, 2012: 5100 block of Vinett
- July 16, 2012: 1300 block of Loper
- Aug. 20, 2012: 300 block of Axilda
- Aug. 29, 2012: 1300 block of Axilda
- Sept. 7, 2012: 5500 block of Shamrock
- Sept. 12, 2012: 1100 block of Oak Meadows
- Oct. 4, 2012: 800 block of Loper
- Oct. 5, 201: 500 block of Maroby
- Oct. 8, 2012: 2000 block of Sieber
- Oct. 12, 2012: 600 block of Gober
- Oct. 18, 2012: 5400 block of North Shady Creek
Police said Cardenas admitted to his involvement in at least some of the burglaries above.
Cardenas is being held in the Harris County Jail without bond.