School near gas leak evacuated

Published On: Nov 29 2012 09:06:02 AM CST   Updated On: Nov 29 2012 11:08:04 AM CST

A gas leak led to a Galena Park school being evacuated Thursday.

MacArthur Elementary School, 1801 North Main, was evacuated as a precaution after the smell of gas was detected.

Officials said a CenterPoint Energy crew was sent to the area to determine the source of the leak, which occurred several blocks from the school at 8:30 a.m.

The evacuation was lifted about an hour later after firefighters said the school was safe.

No injuries were reported.