· Don't stuff too many clothes in the machine. Overloading your unit will cause it to prematurely wear out.
· Do set the water level at the appropriate setting for the amount of clothes being washed or you damage the washer's motorized components.
· Do empty pockets and put lingerie in mesh bags before washing: Repair specialists report finding all sorts of small items in the guts of machines that would have spun happily for years. Among the troublemaker items: bra under wires, golf tees, baby spoons and coins.
· Do replace washer fill hoses every five years.
Your clothes dryer:
· Do clean the vent with every load. A clogged vent will slow down the dry-time of your cycle and increase the potential for a dryer fire.
· Do have the outside vent (exhaust duct) inspected annually and cleaned yearly. Most cleanings cost less than $100 and can make your dryer run as good as new.
For more information visit, www.angieslist.com.