Restaurant Report for March 22: Roaches, rats
Live roaches and rats -- it's what's not on the menu at some popular Houston restaurants this week.
At Cafe Sbarro inside The Galleria, they're getting a handle on their rodent problem. Now they just have to follow through.
Inspectors say they "observed a live, young rodent trapped, struggling on glue board" under the dish machine. They asked employees to remove the mouse.
At Rice Epicurean, a fancy grocery store in the Galleria area, inspectors found a "live insect in the prep cooler," "one live roach in file cabinet" and "fruit flies in the dry storage area."
There were rodent droppings in the food preparation area at Texas Pizza at 1853 Richmond.
Down the road at 5551 Richmond, inspectors say they saw roaches roosting on top of the dish machine at Napoli.
At Droubi's Bakery and Deli at 7333 Hillcroft, inspectors noted "major roach activity." They say they saw approximately 50 roaches in the hot heater room area.
Inspectors found live roaches in two boxes of food at Cali Sandwich Fast Food at 3030 Travis in downtown Houston.
You do still have some healthy, more appetizing options.
The Red Mango at 801 Town and Country received no violations this week and Baskin Robbins at 5628 Westheimer also came up with a perfect score, earning both spots As in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.