Inspectors found all sorts of violations to fill this week's Restaurant Report Card.
A health inspector said he found 25 pounds of food, including fish, slaw and dressings, 19 degrees above the required temperature at The Fish Place on the Gulf Freeway near Almeda, deeming it all potentially hazardous. He also said he found two roaches near a sink in the kitchen.
The manager was reluctant, but he did let KPRC Local 2 go behind the kitchen door. We didn't see any roaches.
You might remember Playa el Cuco on East Crosstimbers from earlier this year. In May, inspectors said the flies and gnats were so out of control in the kitchen that they had to close the place. They also said bugs were crawling around in the container of sugar. In 2011, inspectors dropped in five times and they tossed 52 pounds of food that was left sitting out overnight. On their most recent trip to Playa el Cuco, inspectors found pork, cheese, beans and eggs up to 46 degrees off temperature. They also noted that owners weren't doing enough to get rid of the flies and gnats.
At Dragon Bowl on 11th Street near Shepherd, inspectors said the cutting board was covered in black stains and mold.
Inspectors said there was pink slime in the ice machine at the Starbucks in Meyerland Plaza on Beechnut.
At the Airport Food Mart at 6915 Telephone Road, inspectors said there were worms and flies in the bags of rice.
We're giving A's this week to the Subway at 11039 East Freeway and Pappas Seafood on the North Freeway near the Beltway. Both restaurants had spotless inspections.