Restaurant Report Card for May 31: Roaches nest in restaurant
This week's Restaurant Report Card offers a smorgasbord of stomach-turning finds by Houston health inspectors.
Inspectors observed live adult roaches roosting under the dish machine and numerous live adult and juvenile roaches nesting behind a dish soap dispenser at Red Curry at 1587 Kingwood Dr.
They said there was black and tan slime in the chute of the ice machine. The restaurant closed temporarily to combat the problems. We weren't allowed to check out the kitchen or the ice machine when we stopped by, so you'll have to take the Health Department's word that the roaches are gone and the ice is clean.
Inspectors also noted roach activity at the Don Luis Mexican Restaurant at 7606 Irvington. At the Wendy's inside Baybrook Mall, there were roaches on a wall. The inspector saw a manager spray the bugs with cleaning fluid to kill them.
It was rodents at Lucero Bakery at 1117 Collingsworth that inspectors said left droppings in the pantry and in the food preparation area. At the Broken Spoke Cafe at 1809 Washington Ave., inspectors asked employees to clean up the dry mice droppings on the dish machine. At Sandwiches & Stuff at 1610 West Sam Houston Pkwy. the stuff inspectors found were rodents, flies, cockroaches and other insects.
Want to see how your favorite restaurant did on its last inspection? Click here and type in the name of the restaurant under "Establishment name": http://houston.tx.gegov.com/media/search.cfm
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to email@example.com.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.