Restaurant Report Card for March 21: Roaches & Rodents
Health inspectors went to some of Houston's most popular restaurants recently and found some things that weren't so appetizing.
Most people think of yogurt as a healthy sweet treat, but health inspectors found violations at the Berripop on Richmond near Weslayan. Inspectors wrote that employees were not using effective measures to minimize the presence of rodents.
At La Fogata at 11630 Southwest Freeway, inspectors said the roaches had developed an immunity to the chemicals exterminators were using to kill them. Inspectors said the restaurant needed to switch formulas.
A popular Galleria area restaurant is on the report card this week. At Grotto in the 4700 block of Westheimer, the cheese and prosciutto was a warm 57 degrees. That is 16 degrees higher than the health code permits.
And at Russo's New York Pizzeria in the 300 block of Gray, inspectors found slime in the ice machine.
We've got good grades this week for Tony's in the 3700 block of Richmond and Fratelli's in the 10000 block of the Northwest Freeway. Both locations had clean inspection reports.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to email@example.com.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.