Restaurant Report Card for Feb. 21: Roaches
Roaches running amok in several Houston restaurants -- it's what health inspectors found when they dropped by and it's what landed several eateries on this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Most restaurant owners and managers don't agree to let KPRC Local 2 behind the kitchen door unless they know the kitchen is spotless. The manager of Asian Stir Fry on Kirby across from Reliant Stadium escorted us to the back and lead us straight to the microwave. We immediately noticed a small dead roach that had been flattened by the microwave door. There was another roach carcass under the microwave. When inspectors stopped by, they said there was a live roach and dead roaches inside the flour, in the microwave and on kitchen equipment.
The manager of Asian Stir Fry said they have since exterminated.
There was a cockroach on the wall at the XFY Mongolian Hot Pot at 5901 Westheimer, and another one was spotted on the wall near the cookline at Mayuri Indian Restaurant a block away. Inspectors said there were so many roaches, roach feces and larvae at Mi Casa de Sabor Bar & Grill at 8232 Long Point, that they shut the place down temporarily.
It was slime that soured the inspection at Palazzo's Trattoria at 2300 Westheimer and Prince's Hamburgers at 10455 Briar Forest. Both places had the slippery stuff in their ice machines.
We're giving A's this week to Ruth's Chris at 6213 Richmond and Da Marco Pasta Kitchen at 1701 California in the Montrose area. Both restaurants had spotless inspections.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.