Restaurant Report Card for Feb. 2: Violations at hospitals
Two hospitals are on our list this week, but not for their work in the operating room.
At Memorial Herman Southwest, health inspectors found two ready-to-eat sandwiches two days past expiration. They said they watched an employee take an uneaten Jello cup off of a patient's food tray and put it back in the refrigerator.
At Methodist Hospital, the apple sauce in the fridge was 14 days past expiration.
When you check into the Houston Hilton on Post Oak, you might expect fine dining. Instead, inspectors observed two roaches on the wall near the dishwashing machine.
At Tai Loi at 12320 Bellaire, inspectors asked employees to clean up all of the dead roaches in the food preparation area.
Taqueria Los Reyes at 4901 North McCarty is taking slime to a whole new level. The health inspector wrote "I ran my hand along the inside of the ice machine and got a handful of black slime."
But don't lose your appetite because inspectors said three restaurants are doing it right this week. Subway at 7800 Long Point, the deli at Costco on I-10 at Bunker Hill and Thai Bistro at 11660 Westheimer all earned A's in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to email@example.com.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.