Health inspectors found roaches, gnats and slime at eateries in this week's edition of the Restaurant Report Card.
Inspectors stopped by Kim Hai on the Gulf Freeway near Fuqua two days in a row and they said the business still needs to get the roaches under control. The city of Houston Health Department report shows they found roach infestations in the kitchen, storage area, dishwashing area, inside walls, in cracks under the tables, on walls and on doors. On their return visit the next day, the inspector wrote that roach activity was "extremely minimized."
When Local 2 consumer investigator Amy Davis dropped in, the manager on duty said he was too busy to show her around. He blamed the infestation on construction in a neighboring suite, and he said Kim Hai has been exterminated three times in the past 10 days.
Inspectors noted a few roaches in the storage area of Russo's New York Pizzeria at 5727 Westheimer.
Inspectors said there were gnats landing on the cinnamon rolls and bear claws at Shipley Donuts at 6411 Martin Luther King Drive.
At Polovina Italian Cafe at 4500 Washington Avenue, inspectors deemed pasta, sausage, eggplant, chopped tomatoes and beef not safe for human consumption because they were too warm. Inspectors also told employees to wash the produce and vegetables before chopping and cooking them.
At the Waffle House at 7106 Will Clayton Parkway, it was a gallon of milk that was off temperature. Inspectors said it was a warm 61 degrees. That is 20 degrees higher than required by the health code.
At McCormick & Schmick's at 791 Town & Country, you can get a $40 steak and slime in your ice. Inspectors found it inside the soda gun holder, the ice machine and pink mold residue inside the refrigerator.
Slime is a problem, too, at Jason's Deli at South Shepherd and Westheimer. Inspectors said the saw pink slimy residue in the ice dispensers and soda fountain machines.
We've got two places to grab a clean bite to eat this week. Taco Bell at 24300 Eastex Freeway and Panda Express at 7420 South Sam Houston Parkway both aced their inspections, earning them A's in this week's Restaurant Report Card.