Neighbors save woman from southwest Houston fire

Apartment fire victim suffered smoke inhalation

Published On: Feb 27 2013 06:38:05 AM CST   Updated On: Feb 27 2013 12:06:30 PM CST
HOUSTON -

A pot left on a stove likely caused a fire that burned two units at a southwest Houston apartment complex Wednesday, investigators said.

Houston firefighters said the blaze started around 3 a.m. at the complex on Dunlap Street and Alvarado Drive.

Lydia Carr was asleep when she heard someone banging on her front door. Her neighbors were screaming for her to get out because her apartment was on fire.

"I just saw dark smoke coming out the door. From the top of the door, I saw a lot of smoke," Carr said.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was billowing out of a first-floor unit.

Investigators said a woman was rushed to the hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

Officials at the apartment complex said they are working to find homes for the residents who were displaced.