Man dies in hit-and-run on freewayy
Part of a busy freeway is closed for hours on New Year's Eve after a pickup truck fatally hits the driver of a disabled car, investigators said.
Harris County sheriff's deputies said Joshua Kirkland was driving a Corvette at a high rate of speed in the westbound lanes of the Northwest Freeway near Jones Road about 2 a.m.
Kirkland hit the retaining wall and his vehicle became disabled in a moving lane of traffic, officials said.
Detectives said Kirkland got out of the car, but was hit by a passing pickup truck.
Kirkland was taken to North Cypress Hospital, where he died.
Investigators said the driver of the pickup truck ran away. Deputies have not released any information, including a description, about the driver.
Check Traffic Now:
- Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map
- Traffic Pulse Real-Time Traffic Map
- Traffic Section
- Jennifer Reyna's Traffic Blog
- Houston TranStar
- Gas Price Calculator
- Texas Dept. of Transportation Website or call 800-452-9292
- Harris County Office of Emergency Management Website
Check Construction Information: