HOUSTON -

A man cooking fell asleep and his southwest Houston apartment caught fire.

The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the U.S. Vets Midtown Terrace Suites on Main Street and Ruth Street. Firefighters said they found the fire coming from a unit on the fourth floor.

Officials said the flames were quickly put out and did not spread to neighboring units.

The man was found by firefighters and taken to Ben Taub Hospital with smoke inhalation.

According to investigators, either the man woke up or a neighbor noticed the stove fire and tried to put it out with a towel, but that only caught the towel on fire. The flames then spread to the bed and finally caught the mattress on fire, authorities said.