Lawsuit filed after children burned by power line
The parents of two young children severely burned by a downed power line have filed a lawsuit against CenterPoint Energy.
The 3-year-old boy and 5-year-old girl remain in the intensive care unit after undergoing multiple surgeries, skin grafting and amputations.
Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents the Zarsky family, said both parents are at their side around the clock at Shriner's Hospital in Galveston.
"The injuries (are) catastrophic, they really are," said attorney Tony Buzbee.
It happened in their own backyard on February 17th. The kids were on the play set when they came in contact with a loose live wire.
The children were knocked unconscious by the electric blast. The lawsuit claims the father witnessed his daughter on fire and watched as it spread to her head. He was able to put out the fire, start CPS and revive her.
"These children have a long long road ahead of them," said Byzbee. "There is no doubt Centerpoint is to blame for this."
Buzbee said the family reported the problem to Centerpoint two weeks prior to the kids getting electrocuted.
"He was asked, 'Is this an emergency?' He said, 'I don't know if this is an emergency.' I'm telling you, the wire broke free and Centerpoint never did anything," said Buzbee.
The family is concerned more families could be at risk, said Buzbee.
"Who knows how many backyards across (the) Houston area to have guy wires connected above live electricity," said Buzbee.
Local 2 contacted CenterPoint. A spokesperson said they have no comment because of pending litigation.