Jan. 27: Arming teachers; improving education
State Senator Dan Patrick, (R) Houston, is one of the guests on this weeks' Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall. He says the state has many priorities for improving the quality of education for Texas children. Patrick tells Khambrel that one of the keys is input from many stakeholders and to not rule out any ideas that can make a difference. Patrick also addresses the concern for security in Texas schools and does not rule out teachers having the right to carry guns. Hear his ideas concerning vouchers and how the state might pay for improving the Texas education system.
This all-education program brings together experts from various areas to talk about the most effective way we make positive difference in the Texas Educational system. Joining Khambrel are Dr. Zachary Hodges, president of Houston Community College's Northwest Campus, who discusses how decisions made in elementary education impact the junior college level and security concerns on his campus. Bob Mock, assistant chief of the Houston Independent School District Police Department, weighs in one what HISD police are doing to keep campuses as safe as possible. Gayle Fallon, the president of the Houston Federation of Teachers, talks about the most urgent concerns of the teachers who are on the front lines of education.
Also this week, Dr. Scott Van Beck, executive director of Houston A+ Challenge, talks about ways legislators in Austin can make the most effective impact on the quality of education. Carol Shattuck is the president of Collaborative for Children and talks about ways early childhood education is being impacted by this legislative session and the prospects for the future. Dr. Reagan Flowers, founder & chief executive officer of CSTEM, says a hands-on style of education is key for maximum learning, especially in the science and technology areas.
It is a very informative and fast-moving half hour! Watch Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall Sunday at 10 a.m., right after Meet the Press with David Gregory.
- State Senator Dan Patrick, (R) Houston-District 7; 713-464-0282, www.patrick.senate.state.tx.us/
- Zachary Hodges, Ed.D., president-HCC Northwest Campus; 713-718-5757, http://northwest.hccs.edu
- Bob Mock , assistant chief, HISD Police Dept.; 713-892-7777, www.houstonisd.org
- Gayle Fallon, president, Houston Federation of Teachers; 713-623-8891, http://hft.tx.aft.org
- Scott Van Beck, Ph.D.,Executive Director, Houston A+ Challenge, 713-658-1881, www.houstonaplus.org
- Carol Shattuck, president, Collaborative for Children; 713-600-1100, www.collabforchildren.org