- 1 lb French Lentils
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 stalk Celery, cut into small dice
- 1 each Leek, white part only, cut into small dice
- ½ pound Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound Frisee or Fresh Spinach
Dijon Walnut Vinaigrette
- ½ cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 each Shallots, minced
- 1¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Walnut Oil
- 1 tbsp
- Fresh Dill, Chopped
- 1 tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley, Chopped
- 1 tbsp Chives, Minced
- Salt and Pepper
1. Simmer the lentils in salted water until they are tender. Rinse in cold water and drain well. Rinse again in cold water until the lentils have cooled and drain well.
2. Combine lentils, carrots, celery, leek and mushrooms.
3. Up to four hours before serving, combine the lentil mixture with the Dijon-Walnut Vinaigrette and taste for seasoning. Add salt and freshly ground pepper as needed, to taste. Place Greens on a platter and top with the Lentil Salad. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Roasted Beet Salad
- 4 medium beets (1 1/2 pounds total), Gold and Red, trimmed and unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted Walnut pieces
- 1 pound of Arugula
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Individually wrap 4 medium beets (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed and unpeeled, in foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with a paring knife, 45 to 60 minutes. Let cool. Rub beets with paper towels to remove skins and cut into small wedges.
2. Whisk together 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard; season with coarse salt and ground pepper and stir in 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley. Toss beets with dressing. Serve topped with 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese and 1/4 cup toasted Walnut pieces.
3. On a platter, place cleaned Arugula. Top with Beet Salad.