Fire breaks out at natural gas facility

Published On: Jan 30 2013 03:02:57 PM CST   Updated On: Jan 15 2013 01:12:38 PM CST

Firefighters battled a blaze at a natural gas storage facility.

Kinder Morgan officials said there was a fire in a glycol re-boiler at its facility in the 5200 block of Genoa-Red Bluff near Red Bluff about 9 a.m. Tuesday.

The unit involved was shut down.

Pasadena firefighters were called out and worked with the plant to put out the fire.

There were no evacuations or shelter-in-place, officials said, and no natural gas was released.

Glycol is an organic compound that is widely used for antifreeze for vehicles. It's also used in natural gas processing to remove water from natural gas.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.