Part of Interstate 10 was shut down Friday afternoon after a cherry picker slammed into a highway bridge.
TranStar officials said the cherry picker was being towed by a heavy-duty truck when it hit the Waco Street bridge in the westbound lanes of Interstate 10 at 2:30 p.m.
Three main lanes were closed. Officials said the bridge sustained heavy damage as crew were on-site welding, patching and performing emergency repairs. Permanent repairs will be done later.
The lanes were not expected to reopen until after rush hour. Officials hope to have the lanes and bridge reopened in a few hours.
Traffic was backed up past the East Loop to Mercury Drive, officials said.
It's not yet known if anyone was injured.
Check Traffic Now:
- Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map
- Traffic Pulse Real-Time Traffic Map
- Traffic Section
- Jennifer Reyna's Traffic Blog
- Houston TranStar
- Gas Price Calculator
- Texas Dept. of Transportation Website or call 800-452-9292
- Harris County Office of Emergency Management Website
Check Construction Information: