Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Published On: Dec 06 2011 10:36:08 AM CST   Updated On: Jan 10 2011 02:31:17 AM CST

The National Safety Council reports that more than 1,000 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is given off when you burn something," Ed McDaniel, Occupational Health Specialist at Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services, stated on the county's Web site. "An example of a potential CO problem is a gas appliance with a yellow flame, rather than one that is primarily blue. However, it is important to realize that more CO is released when something is smoldering than when it produces a flame."

To be safe, the Consumer Product Safety Council recommends that people install a carbon monoxide detector near bedrooms and choose a model that meets Underwriters Laboratories (UL) standard 2034.

The detectors measure both high CO concentrations over short periods of time and low CO concentration over long periods of time.

Steps To Reduce Exposure:

Signs You May Have CO Poisoning:

More Information: