Water gushed Monday from a broken water main on Hillcroft Avenue near Harwin Street in southwest Houston.
The line broke during the day Sunday and was repaired Monday morning.
Water pooled in the street and covered at least two lanes, forcing drivers to maneuver around the hazard.
The manager of EK Perfume said the flooding caused her store to lose business.
"It does frustrate me, and I know it frustrates everybody else," said Edith Khan.
Houston Public Works officials said the break was caused by recent storms.
"With the soil becoming more saturated, it's shifting much like what it did during the drought," spokesman Alvin Wright said. "This causes a certain amount of stress on the infrastructure."
Broken water mains in the city of Houston should be reported to 311.
Check Traffic Now:
- Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map
- Traffic Pulse Real-Time Traffic Map
- Traffic Section
- Jennifer Reyna's Traffic Blog
- Houston TranStar
- Texas Dept. of Transportation Website or call 800-452-9292
- Harris County Office of Emergency Management Website
Check Construction Information: