HARRIS COUNTY, Texas - Six law enforcement officers are accused of taking part in an illegal horse racing and gambling operation in Crosby.
The Harris County District Attorney's office announced the arrests of nine people Saturday, including officers from four different agencies.
The DA's office said an illegal horse racing and gambling business was operating at the Rancho El Herradero on Sralla Road in Crosby.
The officers are accused of providing security. They've been charged with racing without a license.
Saturday evening, a man at the property told Local 2 they train horses at the ranch and have the permits necessary to do so.
"As you can see, we have no gambling allowed. I don't know why they are saying we were doing illegal stuff," said the unidentified man.
A neighbor said big crowds -- sometimes up to 400 people -- could be seen at the ranch every other Saturday.
"We knew they were racing but I didn't know it was illegal. I figured he had everything to do it -- the permits and stuff," said Bubba Melcer.
In a release, Terese Buess, Chief of Public Integrity Division, said multiple undercover surveillance operations took place during the lengthy investigation.
"Peace officers take an oath to uphold the law," Buess said. "To discover them actually working in their official capacity to provide security for organized criminal enterprises is extremely alarming and disappointing."
Those arrested on Saturday include:
- Secar Guadelupe Rangel, Harris County Deputy PCT 1 Constable's Office
- Joel Garcia, Harris County Deputy PCT 1 Constable's Office
- Richard Rene Rivera, DPS State Trooper
- David Green, Reserve, Fort Bend County Deputy PCT 2 Constable's Office
- Edward Scott, Reserve, Fort Bend County Deputy PCT 2 Constable's Office
- Carlos Garza, Reserve, Maverick County Deputy PCT 4 Constable's Office
- Consuelo Rivera, resident also charged with impersonating a peace officer
- Reginaldo Mandujano, resident
- Diana Marie Salinas, resident
Copyright 2013 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.