Houston City Council has designated three homes in the River Oaks area as historic landmarks. A fourth home has been designated as a protected historic landmark.
As a protected historic landmark, the Lena Meredith and Ada Carlton House at 2144 Brentwood has been given permanent protection from demolition and inappropriate alteration. The home was owned by sisters Lena Meredith and Ada Carlton and built by the Russell Brown Company for the River Oaks Corporation in 1930. The house is designed in an English style with Tudor elements.
The Dr. and Mrs. Leonard A. Myers House at 3404 Piping Rock Lane has been declared a landmark. It was designed by Houston architects Harvin C. Moore & Hermon Lloyd and constructed in 1941. Dr. Myers was a physician for Memorial Hospital in Houston. The house is significant for its Greek Revival style.
The Mr. and Mrs. Paul C. Pernelle House and the William H. and Florence Skipwith House have also been declared landmarks.
The Mr. and Mrs. Paul C. Pernelle House was built by residential developer George T. Broun in January 1928, making it one of the first homes built on Pelham Drive. The home is an example of the symmetrical French Eclectic style.
The William H. and Florence Skipwith House was built by residential contractor T.J. Portele in 1941 for the Skipwith family.