If a social worker already assists you with paperwork such as food stamps, Medicaid or housing vouchers, they would also be a good source for information on where to receive tax preparation help.

If you do not have a Social Security number for yourself or a dependent, you should file form SS-5 with the SSA.

Caution With Web Searches

There are many, many additional sites available on the Internet that offer free tax assistance. These can be accessed by anyone doing a Google search on "free tax help" or related terms.

Many of these are very helpful, but that is not true of all sites.

As Joe Chadwick, director of investment services for the Longevity Alliance, points out on Fox Business online, "There is a great wealth of information, but there is virtually no quality control exercised on the (Internet) as a whole, so you have to be a bit cautious, even on seemingly benign topics like taxes."