Makes 4 sandwiches
Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons Old Bay seasonings
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon water
4 large soft-shell crabs, cleaned, rinsed, and patted dry
4 (7-inch) lengths French bread, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
1/2 cup Hill Country Fair Tartar Sauce
3 tablespoons Creole mustard
3 tablespoons Southwest Dip
2 cups shredded iceburg lettuce
12 thin slices ripe tomato
12 dill pickle slices
- In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees F or deep fryer
- In a bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon Old Bay, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne. In another bowl, combine cornmeal, 1 teaspoon old Bay, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne.
- In a small bowl, mix tartar sauce, Southwest Dip and Creole mustard, put in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, water and remaining Old Bay. One at a time, lightly coat the crabs with the flour mixture, then dip into the egg wash, followed by the cornmeal to coat.
- With tongs, lower 2 crabs at a time into the hot oil. Fry, turning once, until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with Old Bay.
- Spread both sides of the French Bread with tartar sauce mixture. Layer the lettuce, tomatoes and pickles over the bottom half of the bread and top with 1 crab. Close the sandwiches and serve immediately.