"With the weather cooling off, what a great way to make a rich, delicate soup that the whole family can enjoy. To me, this is a great way to start off the HOLIDAY'S! There is nothing better than starting the fireplace on a cold evening and enjoying some good ole comfort food with the family," Chef Lee said.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped leeks, whites only, well rinsed
- 1/2 cup Occtavio Olive Oil (HEB Cooking Connection)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasonings
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart Seafood Stock, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup HEB Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons HEB Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Adams Reserve Cayenne Pepper (HEB Cooking Connection)
- 1 pound King Crab meat, picked over for shells and cartilage (HEB Seafood Department)
- 2 steamed King Crab Clusters (HEB Seafood Department)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the Old Bay, bay leaves and thyme, and stir. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat evenly. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until thick and a light roux forms, about 10 minutes. Add the stock, stirring until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
2. Add the heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper and crabmeat and simmer for 5 minutes. Place the King Crab Legs in a steamer to heat up. Remove the soup from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. To serve, ladle the soup in a deep rimmed bowls.
3. Garnish each serving with 1 King Crab Leg, green onions and chopped parsley. Serve hot.